- What is the Black Unity Bike Ride (BUBR)?
The BUBR is a series of activations that encourages holistic wellness amongst the Black community. Our flagship activation is our annual 15-mile bike ride across London, and we also have smaller monthly activations.
- Why does the BUBR exist?
There is under-representation of Black cyclists at all levels of the sport from elite level to grassroots. The BUBR symbolises Black Unity, Black Empowerment and Black Love.
- How do I volunteer at the BUBR?The initiative is powered by a majority team of passionate volunteers. We are always on the hunt for new volunteers that conduct themselves professionally, see our vision and buy into our values. You can volunteer in several ways, to express your interest in volunteering with BUBR just fill in the forms here.
- How can I donate to BUBR?
here – all donations go towards covering the cost of our events and activations.
- What is the BUBR Alliance?
BUBR is an entity owned by New Initiatives Youth & Community Association (Charity Number 1121523). The BUBR Alliance consists of 20+ black-led cycling collectives and utilises its collective power, network and influence to bring about positive change in the Black community.
The BUBR Alliance is constantly growing and currently includes Black Muslim Women Bike, Black Riders Association, Black Riders Club, Bros Bike Club, Bike Life Kartel, Black Women on Wheels, Chain Gang Cyclists, East London Riderz, Girls Ride Out 2, Lynmore Ladies, No Limit Cycling Club, NW Ryders, Ridefest, Ride 4 Unity, Rough Rider Velo, Sikh Cycling Network, Soul Riders Cycling Club, Team ORIGIN, TAMMLM, The Cannon Riderz, TWR, Women of Colour Cycling Collective
MAIN EVENT FAQS
- When is your next annual BUBR?
Saturday 6thAugust 2022.
- Where do I buy a ticket for Black Unity Bike Ride 2022?
You can secure your ticket via our booking page.
- Where does the Black Unity Bike Ride start from?
The event sets off from Leyton Sports Ground, 485 High Road London, E10 6PY and concludes in Brockwell Park via central London.
- What time does the Black Unity Bike Ride start and finish?
Participants can check-in from 9am at the start location (Leyton Sports Ground) and the ride expects to set off at 10am – the ride concludes at BUBRFest.
- What is BUBRFest?
BUBR have collaborated with BlackEatsLDN to create BUBRFest – a fitting finale to our annual bike ride. Saturday 6th August will be Black Pound Day and all participants will be able to purchase food and other cool bits from 20 Black owned businesses. As well as catch a vibe from the live DJ set.
- How much does it cost to take part in this year Black Unity Bike Ride event?
This year we have 2 tickets options for you to choose from:
– Ticket option 1: Donation only
– Ticket option 2: Donation & Merch (Delivered)
You need to book the ride (minimum donation £5). BUBR is a charity project, all donations go towards covering the cost of this event.
- If I don’t purchase a ticket for the BUBR, can I still take part in the event?
No, only participants that have registered, signed our terms & conditions and made a donation can partake. You can do this in advance of the event via our booking page or alternatively on the day, with that said we actively encourage pre-booking to avoid disappointment.
- Why do I need to purchase a ticket for BUBR?
Firstly to make the event as safe as we can for all riders, we need to have a record of everyone that is partaking. Secondly knowing who partakes enables us to understand who we are benefitting. Thirdly BUBR is a charity project, and all donations go towards covering the cost of this event.
- How do I get to the start and how do I get home at the end of BUBR?
Leyton Midland Road (London Overground) is the closest station. Leyton and Leytonstone stations are both on the Central Line and they are both about a 10-minute bike ride from Leyton Sports Ground. Herne Hill (Train Station) is a few minutes’ walk from Brockwell Park and Brixton tube station is less than 10 minutes ride away.
- What is the route for the BUBR?
The expected route is to be Leyton E10 to Herne Hill SE24 via central London. The final confirmed route will be released in July.
- What types of bikes can be used at the BUBR?
We welcome all types of pedal bikes, as well as e-bikes.
- Who can attend the BUBR?
The BUBR is a community event, open for all. BUBR proactively targets members of the African and African-Caribbean communities. However, also welcomes participants of all ethnicities.
- I don’t own a bike, can I still attend BUBR 2022?
Yes, of course you can attend. Whilst we would obviously recommend you purchase a bike; we also understand this isn’t always possible for various reasons. We’ll be publishing a list of bike rental options soon on our booking page. Please note: We won’t be arranging rental services. Therefore, riders will need to arrange their own rental.
If you don’t own a bike and fancy volunteering with us on the day then you can just fill in the form here.
- Can children attend BUBR?
If a participant is younger than 16-years-old they will need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian throughout the entire event.
- Is the BUBR a race?
The event is a community ride that proceeds at a leisurely pace for the entire 15-mile route.
- Is the event a straight 15 miles ride or do you stop at all?
BUBR has two pitstops along the route, there is approximately five miles between each pitstop.
- Where can I leave my bike at the end of the ride/BUBRFest?
We will be supplying access to bike racks at the end of the ride that won’t be supervised. We strongly encourage all riders to bring a lock to secure their bike. BUBR takes no responsible for any loss or damages of any bikes.
- I ordered BUBR merchandise with my ticket, when will the items arrive?
All orders will be fulfilled after the 15th of July, we ask that you allow 10 working days for your item to arrive. Please see merchandise section for additional information.
- If I cannot make the start of the BUBR, how can I join on route?
To soak up all the vibes of the event we recommend starting the ride at the beginning, however if that is not possible then you can either join the ride at one of our two pitstops and also use a link for the live tracking app which will show you exactly where we are in real time along the route. The link will be shared soon and will be live from 9am on 6th August 2022.
MONTHLY ACTIVATIONS FAQS
- What are your monthly activations?
Please see below an overview of activations every month:
- Come Run with Us (5K run at various parks across London)
- Come Ride with Us (VeloPark, Lee Valley)
- How do I join your monthly activations?
You can simply turn up at the runs, no booking required. However, you’ll need to book the ride sessions via our booking page.
- How can I purchase BUBR merchandise?
You can do so right here. All proceeds from purchases go towards covering the direct costs of the BUBR.
- When will my order arrive?
We ask that you allow 10 working days from your order date for your item(s) to arrive.
- After 10 working days my item(s) haven’t arrived, who do I contact?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number, full name and address. Please avoid direct messaging us on social media regarding this matter.
- How do I order the BUBR kit?
Our custom-made BUBR/LeCol kit is only available to pre-order here. Please note: our next order will be processed mid-late August (date TBC) and expected delivery October 2022 (tbc).
Please check size chart before placing order as these are custom made items and refunds/replacements will not be possible once order has been placed.
- When will be BUBR kit arrive?
We have processed our second set of orders in time for our Annual BUBR22 event. If you ordered your kit between 4th March-21st May 2022 delivery for kits will be confirmed for mid-July. You’ll receive an email once the item(s) have been dispatched.
- I ordered the BUBR kit, and I want to exchange an item… can I do this?
Unfortunately, this isn’t possible as all orders are custom made to order and this was made explicitly clear at the time that you ordered.